Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Publishing Paradigm: “Book Trailers” and Social Networking

With the economy still hurting, and marketing budgets for books way down, print publishers are begrudgingly realizing they face a dire challenge in order to avoid becoming dinosaurs. Kindle books outsell paperbacks on Amazon.com, and are on the verge of eclipsing hardback sales. The new tool for selling books is social networking. St. Martin’s Press has even created a position for a Social Networking Media Consultant.

Publishers now expect writers to help sell their books on author’s websites, blogs, Twitter, Facebook and through “book trailers,” which are similar to movie trailers. Many writers are trying all kinds of gimmicks, including book readings at very unconventional places. A New York City author recently sold a lot of books by posting one page at a time on city light poles. I kid you not. The New York Post did a story on it.

Some authors offer $10 gift cards at Amazon.com for people who buy, or pre-order their book. Writers frequently guest blog on other author’s websites, adding a link at the end to help get the word out there about their newest book. In addition to being artists, writers are becoming hustlers, like it or not.

My agent, Dawn Dowdle, at Blue Ridge Literary Agency, insists that all her authors get involved in social networking. Being a very private person, when I signed with Dawn I was resistant at first, but she broke me down. Very demanding lady, but what did you expect of a gal who lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia?

So I started a blog, and actually learned to enjoy it, a break from my novel writing and the strict rules of fiction. Then, cringing, I opened a (gulp) Facebook account – with stunning results. Special friends from my high school senior class came out of the woodwork. I renewed relationships with them via email and phone contact. Hell, I even kindled a little romance with one very amazing Lady of the Desert.

Back then I went to a public school which today would be the equivalent of an elite prep school. My classmates have accomplished great things. I am very moved by renewing friendships with people who have always remained in my heart.

Now about book trailers.

Having written a few screenplays, and seen thousands of movies (I watch up to 300 a year on glorious Netflix. Obviously, living in a small upstate New York town, I have no social life).

I have a strong cinematic sense, which comes out in my fiction. My scenes seem like montage. I set out to create a book trailer, with the help of a friend who operates a boxing website and is an artistic video maker. I scripted a short trailer, using pictures and text. My friend, William Trillo, did an incredible job of translating my script into video, and added awesome music. It’s only a little over a minute. Check it out:

I guess even old dogs like me can learn new tricks.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Nathan... yes, even us old dogs need to learn new tricks every once in a while. And you know what? Most of those new tricks are a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Annette. Learning new things is growing, and when we stop growing we are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very elegant trailer.
    Everything is falling into place.
    GOOD LUCK
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan,
    I forgot to mention earlier, wonderful trailer! Your friend does great work indeed.

    ReplyDelete